Tuesday 3 February 2015

Epilogue


The idea for this epilogue was one of the first images which came to me for this novel.  I liked the idea of the hero watching the heroine perform her burlesque routine and feeling proud and satisfied.  The heroine isn’t abandoning her wicked ways.  She’s still the same exhibitionist but not as aggressive about it.  She has support and a place in the world again.

Obviously Dalhard and Karan are still a threat to the Harrises and the lalassu community as a whole.  They may have lost the first round but they haven’t been defeated.  They’ll be looking to take the fight to a new level in the sequels.

When it came to everyone’s recovery, I didn’t want this to be a complete reset to how things were at the start of the book.  Vincent and Eric have both been through a substantial amount of trauma and it would take more than a few months to recover.  McBride also has a lot of emotional processing to deal with and we’ll see how he copes with it in Metamorphosis.

I chose Dream A Little Dream of Me as a counterpoint to the primary role of the lilitu: to wake people up.  Dani is no longer aggressively forcing people to wake up to their faults, she’s content to allow them to keep their dreams.  Originally I had the final line of the song as my last line in the book, but discovered I was violating copyright by doing so.  I like my new ending though.  Dani finally has someone who sees her for her true self and still loves her.  And Michael has found a new community for himself.

That’s it for Revelations.  I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.  See you all again for Metamorphosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment