Thursday 5 February 2015

Chapter Twenty-Three

Dani has been taught to distrust traditional authority and her own experiences have certainly backed that up.  To see the police treating Tanisha properly, protecting and serving her, is a real eye opener for her.  It’s part of what gives her the strength to fight the Huntress’s demands.  I envisioned her as almost Hunting herself.  She gets lost in her own memories and Michael has to bring her out.

Michael is having real trouble coping with what happened with Redneck Whiskey.  I based his reaction on my own when I saw The Watchmen.  Alan Moore showed just what it is that we’ve been celebrating for all these years in comics and it is actually horrible when you take the time to think about it.  For years, the Internet has run guesstimates of collateral civilian casualties in superhero movies.  We may cheer as the Hulk rips through a building to jump on an alien invader but the reality is that those buildings are full of people who haven’t been evacuated and are almost certainly injured or killed off-screen. 

Now I love comics and comicbook films but I do try to remind myself now and again that they are a fantasy.  Real world violence is not exciting when people are caught up in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment