Tuesday 3 February 2015

Chapter Forty-Six

When I first observed “George” at the autism center, I was surprised by how effective his escape technique was.  By keeping his body perfectly still and shuffling his feet, he was able to move out of range without being obvious.  As soon as I saw it, I knew I wanted to use it for Dani’s grand escape.

The first time I wrote the final confrontation, I had Michael attack Dalhard while Dani recovered but it didn’t feel satisfying to me.  It took me some brainstorming time to realize that I wanted Dani to be the one to avenge herself.  Having Michael physically attack someone didn’t suit his character.

When Karan threatens Michael with the gun, it is the moment where he reveals himself as the more dangerous of the two villains.  I’ve always felt the intelligent and practical bad guys were more frightening.  Someone convinced they are doing the right thing and that the ends justify the means is the most dangerous combination but ruthless practicality is up there.  I’ve laid hints throughout the book that Karan is more than he seems and you’ll discover more as we go through the series.  He carefully assesses the situation and chooses the course of action which promises the best chance for survival and eventual vengeance.

Dani also displays her growth in the final confrontation.  Unlike with Chomp and Hulk, she’s able to think through the possibilities and decide what is the best course of action.  She’s not about to let them go but she can be patient and wait for the right time.

Vincent is my note of tragedy.  He’s not cracking jokes or making sarcastic rebuttals.  His mind has been rewritten and he was abandoned.  He wanted to believe in what Dalhard was offering so badly that he threw away everything else in his life and now he’s left with nothing.  I think everyone has had experience with someone who used them and threw them away, leaving them feeling like the biggest kind of fool and loser.

Nada is my true hero.  She sacrificed herself to save them all.  That defines heroism in my mind.  She patiently waited until she had the best chance and then acted decisively and without hesitation.  She is my tribute to all those who have sacrificed themselves to make others safe.

Bernie is irrepressible childhood at its best.  She has perfect faith that the universe will work itself out in her favor.  I miss feeling that way and I didn’t want to take it away from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment