Wednesday 4 February 2015

Chapter Thirty-Nine

Deciding how I wanted my Goddess to interact and appear was a huge amount of fun.  I decided to go with something dreamlike but still powerful.  There are lots of hints that she’s not quite real.  I needed a way to explain everything which had happened with Dani and her family and a deity seemed like someone who would have the necessary perspective.  Of course, having a direct connection to a deity also forced me to deal with the most primal of questions: why do bad things happen to good people?  I’ve never liked the idea of divine “plans” although I think a deity would likely have a more long-term view than humans.  Nor do I like the idea of an unconnected and uncaring deity watching it all for their own amusement.  The idea that a deity is both limited and caring is the most comforting option in my mind.

The idea of a cosmic game of “Broken Telephone” between the Goddess and Gwen, using the dead as intermediaries, amused me to no end.  To me, it also demonstrated the Goddess’s care for her people.  She didn’t give up trying to communicate, even though it was difficult.

Dani’s testing needed to be something unusual.  A test of blind faith didn’t suit her or the story.  Instead, I made the test one of active knowledge.  It fit with how the lilitu wake people up by stripping away their illusions.  Dani needed to see herself clearly, which she doesn’t quite achieve here, but is the key to her survival later.

No comments:

Post a Comment