Wednesday 4 February 2015

Chapter Forty-One


Michael inviting Joe to go along on their illegal break in was a controversial decision both in and out of the story.  I had several beta readers tell me that they hated it and others tell me they loved it.  Personally, I insisted on it because there is a limit to what can be accomplished under the table.  The Harris family is so used to taking care of things themselves that they’ve forgotten the law can be a resource.  Exposing someone legally is much more effective at neutralizing them than vigilante justice.  This decision is part of Michael’s growth and development as a character.

This chapter has a few of my favorite lines in it.  “Our witness is the ghost of a twelve-year old boy who has been dead at least eighty years, delivered through a medium who is certifiably crazy.” And “Fee, Fie, Foe, Fum, F*cker” which I’m considering putting on a t-shirt.

It is true that in experiments no animal would get into an enclosed space with a known predator, no matter what inducements were offered.  Shocks, food, doesn’t matter.  I’m extrapolating slightly that no animal on the planet will do it, but if mice and monkeys won’t, I’m pretty sure no wild animal will either.  I first heard this fact during a presentation of Gavin De Becker’s The Gift of Fear on Oprah.

Dalhard’s backstory came to me early on.  His mother using his father for power and influence.  Him removing his father when his father’s obsessions became an obstacle to his own power.  I don’t know if you could have a more perfect environment for raising a sociopath.

No comments:

Post a Comment