Wednesday 4 February 2015

Chapter Thirty-Eight

Michael was never going to make it through the novel without going head to head with the Huntress.  I thought long and hard about what kind of trials it would present him.  The idea of seeing one’s true cosmic significance has always struck me as something overwhelming (and it gave me an opportunity for a little shout out to Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy).  Being forced to experience all the malice in the world would also be terrifying (I personally believe it is balanced out by the joy, but experiencing only one side would be horrible).  It gave me a chance to show Michael’s compassion and nobility of spirit.

Michael’s personal history would have broken someone less caring.  No matter what happened to him, how he was rejected, he still sought out opportunities to help and give.  I have a great deal of respect for those who struggle against daily challenges and still manage to keep their dignity and optimism.

No comments:

Post a Comment